PVC-u the facts
PVC-U has many benefits which are much publicised, along with a few that aren't quite so well known. Not enough people, for example, know that the average PVC-U window frame can be recycled around ten times - effectively creating a window with a 400 year lifespan.
PVC-U is one of the world's most versatile and sustainable materials, it has been used for fabricating window frames since the 1960s. Over the past 15 years the use of PVC-U windows has grown dramatically and now over 85% of new and replacement window projects use PVC-U, usually to replace timber framed windows.
There are many reasons for this success, but the main one is the quality of the product. PVC-U is a very durable and lightweight material that lends itself perfectly for use in fenestration products:
- Minimal maintenance - Homeowners don't have to face the chore of endless sanding, painting and varnishing. PVC-U simply needs the occasional wipe over with warm soapy water.
- Stylish good looks - PVC-U Fully sculptured and bevelled windows are virtually indistinguishable from the finest soft and hardwood timber frames, but entirely resistant to splitting, warping, rotting and insect attack.
- Impact and weather resistance - Impact-modified PVC-U windows can withstand the worst that the British weather can throw at them.
- Strength and rigidity - All VEKA windows offer exceptional strength and rigidity thanks to their innovative multi-chamber design.
- Security – Top security features are built into VEKA's window systems at the design stage, rather than bolted on as an afterthought.
- Energy efficiency – VEKA's was the first window system in the UK to be granted an ‘A’ on the BFRC rating system.
- Thermal properties – PVC-U is a poor heat conductor, making it ideal for double glazed or triple glazed window surrounds.
- Sound reduction – The installation of PVC-U double glazed or triple glazed windows will dramatically reduce the volume noise generated by traffic, aircraft or noisy neighbours.
- Longevity – Second generation PVC-U doors and windows from VEKA will continue to look good and perform flawlessly for decades.
- Fire safety – PVC is non-toxic and meets all international health and safety regulations. It is inherently difficult to ignite and stops burning as soon as the source of heat is removed.
- Value adding - Quality PVC-U home improvements will add substantial value to any home. They improve visual appearance, security, energy efficiency and provide effective thermal and sound insulation. An excellent benefit to advertise to your customers.
- Environmental factors – VEKA was the world’s first window systems company to recognise the importance of recycling PVC-U windows.
In 1993, VEKA designed and built a technologically advanced recycling facility in Behringham Germany, capable of recycling any old PVC-U frames and turning them into, amongst other things, new windows.
For lots more information on PVC-U, visit www.PVCaware.org